Friday, September 02, 2011

Crochet yoga mat bag

A REALLY long time ago, I was bored on a plane and ended up crocheting a yoga mat bag.




I was looking for a quick, easy project to use up some cotton yarn in my stash the other day, so I decided to make a bag for my yoga mat which was languishing untidily in the bottom of my cupboard. Searching on the web failed to find a pattern that I liked, so I ended up making one up. The following is my attempt to put my random pattern down on paper. Please let me know if you find any mistakes or need clarification.

I used:
1 ball Cleckheaton cotton
5mm crochet hook
1 large button

a length of cord (I used an i-cord made with 4 mm needles)

This pattern is written to fit a yoga mat with a rolled diameter of 11 cm. I don't do gauge, so you may need to adjust the pattern a little, depending on the size of your mat, yarn and hook.

Chain 6 and sl to first chain to form a loop (or make a magic circle)
Row 1: Ch 3, 11 tr into circle, sl to join to chain (12 stitches)

Row 2: Ch 3, 2 tr into each tr, sl to join to chain (24 stitches)

Row 3: Ch 3, tr into first stitch, *2tr, tr, repeat from * until end , sl to join to chain (36 stitches)

Note: This should be the diameter of your mat. If not, you may need to add another row or adjust the size of your hook. Check out this guide to crocheting circles if you need help. You need to make sure that the number of stitches in the finished circle is a multiple of three to make the pattern work

Crochet into the back of each stitch for Row 4.
Row 4: Ch 3, tr into each tr, sl to join to chain (36 stitches)

Row 5: Ch 3, *skip 2 stitches, tr into next stitch, ch3, tr into same stitch. Repeat from * until end. sl to join to third stitch in initial chain.

Row 6: Chain 3, *tr into next stitch, ch3, tr into same stitch. Repeat from * until end. sl to join to third stitch in initial chain.

Repeat Row 6 until bag is 1 inch less than desired length.

Finishing rounds:

Row 7: Ch 3, 3 tr into each stitch, sl to join.

Row 8: Ch 1, sc in each stitch

Thread the cord around the top of the bag and tie or sew a small loop in the end. Thread the free end of the cord through this loop and either sew to the bottom or attach using a large button threaded through the starting circle at the base of the bag.







No comments: